The Future of Work Platforms: Like Jazz
Yesterday I read GigaOM analyst and editor Haydn Shaughnessy's Future of Work Platforms report (registration required, free seven day trial available).
Ever since Jon Udell coined the term, it struck me as good way to talk about practical benefits and a business purpose for collaboration.
I also thank you for your careful analysis and kind words about Traction Software.
I've thought a lot about how to describe the relationship between Observable Work and the style of action tracking, coordination and agile project management used by TeamPage customers like Brian Tullis and Joe Crumpler, as well Traction Software folk.
Traction TeamPage 5.1 aims to support this performance model.
Every business activity involves some measure of action planning and tracking.
The TeamPage 5.1 action tracking model focuses on making it simple for individuals and teams to plan and coordinate the daily, weekly and monthly activities that drive effective teamwork.
In my opinion, the big difference is action tracking built in to the natural flow of work.
- Collect individual tasks into projects to make summaries easy to report up, and top down progress easy to track by project or by individual.
- Tag any paragraph as a task and later dive down by person, task, project or milestone to make personal tracking and maintaining awareness much easier.
- Click a name and link to a colleague's profile to see tasks, activity and status from their perspective.
- Pop a quick question into a status window to make communication quick, effective and observable.
- Add a comment to a task (status message, page, post or paragraph) to raise an issue or suggest a solution, to make exceptions much easier to recognize and handle.
All of this works with TeamPage's advanced search, notification, and a collaboration model that puts tasks, status, conversations and posts in a business context, organizing communication by space for those who have permission to read, while using spaces to protect all content in client, partner or internal spaces that require privacy.
Watch the video to see what I mean.
I've worked for the US Naval Research Lab managing parts of very big projects for the US Navy, and as a member of small startup teams.
We're seeing first results from TeamPage customers and Traction Software using TeamPage 5.
- Enterprise 2.
0 and Observable Work
- Intertwingled Work (and Case Management)
- 29 July 2010 | Enterprise 2.
0 and Observable Work: Brian Tullis and Joe Crumpler, Burton Group Catalyst 2010 Santa Diego(Alcoa customer panel at Catalyst)
- How to make your ISO Auditor Smile; And Make Your Professional Life Much Easier (From customer to Quality Manager, shop floor, and ISO auditor)
- Learn by watching - Then do (US Naval Research Lab)
- Action Tracking with Tasks, Milestones, and Projects (Video)
- 10 May 2011 | Traction® TeamPage 5.
2 Introduces Dashboards for Action Tracking, Project and Case Management
- 9 Nov 2010 | Traction® TeamPage 5.
1 Introduces Integrated Action Tracking For Improved Team Performance
- 2 Dec 2010 | AppGap Review - Traction TeamPage 5.
1 Moves Forward with Project Management Capabilities