The Rise of Enterprise 2.
0, Andrew McAfee | Video | Enterprise 2. 0 Summit 2008 Tokyo
Last month I had the pleasure of interviewing Professor Andrew McAfee at the Enterprise 2.0 Summit Tokyo 2008.
From Tokyo: "Do you see the benefits of Enterprise 2.
McAfee answered by reviewing three theories of Information Technology's impact on competition:
- IT doesn't matter - IT brings productivity and performance benefits, but it brings them to all competitors equally.
- IT has a leveling or homogenizing effect on competition .
. . it makes firms in an industry more similar. . . . everyone's business processes should become more similar and undifferentiated, since they're encoded in the same software. IT doesn't separate winners from losers, in other words -- it brings them closer together, and makes it less likely that anyone's going to stand out.
- IT does matter - its main effect is to differentiate competitors within an industry and separate winners from losers.
He said that he believes in the third theory - and that success in using Enterprise 2.
In followup discussion we agreed that this seems very well aligned with Japanese management strengths in recognizing and pioneering concepts of total quality management and other management practices where collaboration is focused on:
- Improving the quality of the product - from concept through design and manufacturing
- Improving the competitiveness of the organization
- Building and maintaining strong ties with long term suppliers and customers - as true partners
Prof McAfee said that Japanese business people may be inclined to see the competitive value in Enterprise 2.
Andrew McAfee references
Enterprise 2.0: The Dawn of Emergent Collaboration
MIT Sloan Management Review, Spring 2006
What's Most Important for Success with Enterprise 2.0?
FASTForward 08 Keynote topic
Andrew McAfee HBS Blog, Feb 22, 2008
The 9X Email Problem
Andrew McAfee HBS Blog, Sep 29, 2006
Enterprise 2.0, version 2.0
Andrew McAfee HBS Blog, May 27, 2006
The Slippery Nature of 'Strategic' IT - Discusses VRIN test with examples
Andrew McAfee HBS Blog, April 10, 2006
To download a Japanese language translation of these references prepared for the conference, click here (.